Powrmatic of Canada Ltd. is Eastern Canada's most respected distributors of residential, commercial and industrial supply equipment setting the standard in quality for the HVAC, Electrical and Hearth industries. Now after over 75 years, the company prides itself on a reliable and dedicated workforce trained to offer dependable and consistent service to its customers.
POWRMATIC is a subsidiary of Deschênes Group Inc. a private family business founded in 1940 and headquartered in Montreal. Deschênes Group is the largest Canadian-owned company in its sector of activity and an important wholesaler-distributor with 192 points of sale in Canada and the United States and is supported by a qualified staff of 2700 members. Since 2009, Deschênes Group has been recognized as one of the Best Managed Companies in Canada.
With 6 branches strategicaly located in Eastern Canada namely in Toronto, London, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec and Halifax, Powrmatic is in a good position to properly serve the main markets in heating, air conditioning, ventilation and fireplaces.
1945—The first location for Powrmatic of Canada was a small office and storage area in Montreal on Marie-Anne street.
1946 — An expansion took place, and the sales office moved to the Sun Life building in Montreal. The company imported kerosene fired, vaporizing oil burners from the New-Jersey plant. This was at the start of the post WWII period and almost all of the heating and cooking appliances were wood or coal fired. The Canadian company developed a cooking range vaporizing oil burner, known as the “ball flame burner”,consisting of a series of stainless perforated rings on a cast iron base which was installed in kitchen ranges and stoves to convert them from wood and coal to oil firing. They were gravity fed, using kerosene, stored in a glass bottle mounted on the side of the stove. These became immensely popular.
1948 — The Company was seeking a plant to manufacture these burners and rented a 40,000 sq. ft. plant in Granby, Quebec. For several years, this plant operated at mil capacity due to the demand from all parts of Canada. As electric and gas stoves and ranges started to be made, the market for these burners declined.
1951 — The Company then relocated to 7,000 sq. ft. of space on Du Havre St. in Montreal, near the downtown port area. There, the company started to manufacture automatic type oil burner, using no. 2 fuel oil and residential warm air furnaces. These were marketed to heating contractors. This started the company in the wholesale distribution business, since there were few wholesalers at that time. The company originated the concept of the “packaged unit” for warm air furnaces and hot water boilers, whereby the furnace, oil burner and all wiring was assembled and shipped as a ready-to-start unit.
1955—Wholesale branch opened in Quebec City.
1957—Wholesale branch opened in Ottawa.
1960—A larger facility of 20,000 sq. ft. was purchased on Durocher St. in Montreal, housing the manufacturing and Montreal wholesaling operations. Products were added, including commercial air heaters, water heaters, boilers and related supply products.
1962—Wholesale branch opened in Halifax.
1964 — Purchased Filter & Heating Supply Co. in Toronto and converted to a Powrmatic branch.
1970 — Branches entered the residential and commercial air conditioning distribution market. During the oil crisis of the mid 1970’s, the company was one of the first in Canada to foresee the coming demand for wood burning stoves, fireplaces warm air furnaces, flues and chimneys and very rapidly entered this market. The branches soon became the most important wholesalers of this type of product in Canada.
1972 — The facility was outgrown and the company purchased a 40,000 sq. ft. plant in Terrebonne, north of Montreal. The Montreal Wholesale operations were moved to a 20,000 sq. ft. location on 19th Ave. in Montreal.
1975—Valin Distribution Co., an electrical wholesaler in Quebec City was purchased and integrated into the Quebec City branch. The Quebec government had developed James Bay and Churchill Falls hydroelectric facility, the largest in the world. Recognizing that electric heating would become predominant, electrical supply wholesaling was added to other branches.
1980’s — Company continued penetrating of residential and commercial comfort products market with central air conditioners, heat pumps, rooftop units and ventilation products.
1992—Expansion of Montreal branch to 32,000 sq. ft. facility on Ray-Lawson Blvd.
1998 — Expansion of Halifax to 15,000 sq. ft. at Strawberry Hill location.
2003 — Further expansion of Montreal branch to 44,000 sq. ft. on Ray-Lawson Blvd.
2005—New state of the art branch of 22,000 sq. ft. in Quebec City.
2007—New distribution center of 10,000 sq. ft. opens in London Ontario.
2011—Toronto branch movesto larger location offering 27,000 sq. ft. of working space. In the same year, the Quebec City branch increases its warehouse space by 10,000 sq. ft. in response to the increasing needs of its Electrical customers.
2012—Halifax branch moves to Dartmouth and the new building now strategically located in the heart of the industrial park has nearly 10,000 sq. ft. of warehouse and service space.
2015—Ottawa branch moves to Gloucester with the new building strategically located at the intersection of two busy roads. Easily accessible, the branch now benefits from 35% more warehousing space.
2020—Relocation of the Toronto branch to more than 40,500 sq. ft. facility. Acquisition by a subsidiary of Deschênes Group Inc.